Saturday, February 4, 2012

Stand up to Cancer

Today is World Cancer Day. What will you do differently? I try to ask myself that every day. A little change can make a lot of difference. During treatment I can't load up on supplements since they would be counterproductive to the chemo and radiation killing off all growing/reproducing cells. However, as soon as I am done, I plan on eating more fresh fish, more greens and taking plenty of vitamin D, and Omega 3's. So far I am cooking a lot more at home and using the Magic Bullet I got for christmas every day!

I have also changed my shopping habits. I purchase more natural and organic items whenever I can. In case you are looking to do the same, here are some products I switched to and I am really pleased with so far:

Arm & Hammer Essentials Deodorant
Natural Bliss Liquid Creamer
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balancing Shampoo (on the few hairs I have!)
Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Nourishing Bath Bar
Dr. Bronner's Magic Tea Tree Pure-Castille Soap
100% Pure Honey Almond Nourishing Body Cream
Method All Purpose Cleaner
Greenworks Cleaning Wipes I also like the bleach and toilet cleaner

For Olivia:
Dolphin Organics
Xlear Spry Toothpaste
Badger Chamomile Baby Sunscreen

I haven't made a complete transition with my all of my cosmetics quite yet, but I have learned a lot from the EWG's Skin Deep Database Scoring System. If you're concerned about any of the lotions, makeup or bath products you're currently using, I strongly suggest checking them through EWG. It's a real eye opener to what you slather on your body every day! Whenever I think about how many useless toxic chemicals are in a person's daily beauty regimen, I can't help but think of this clip:



I make sure to buy organic meats and foods and ingredients whenever possible. Especially when it concerns Olivia. We only consume organic milk and eggs and even pasta. Annie's Organics and Earth's Best have lots of nutritious, tasty organic kid foods.

I also know a very Crunchy Mom, who started her own blog sharing her knowledge of homemade recipes, remedies and green solutions for people wanting to live a little healthier and save money too! Check out Earthy Consumer and add it to your blog feed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment