Sunday, October 16, 2011

Wiggin Out

Today my 8 beautiful nieces were all in attendance for the annual American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event. They named our Team, "Peggy Sue's Pink Ladies." We raised "$1,300 which gave us Blue Ribbon status ;) It was very touching to see how many people support my road to recovery. Very encouraging! I also ran into my clinical trial nurse which was a lovely surprise. She was very proud of me too. The weather was perfect and the entire team went to breakfast afterwards. They had to give us our own room at Denny's!




I got a chance to sport my bright pink wig. Wearing wigs can definitely help mask insecurity, but during a fundraising walk it can make you very hot sweaty and itchy! At one point I had to take it off for a little airing out. I really didn't want to because even though there were a lot of survivors there, I didn't spot anyone in treatment. If the wig wasn't turning heads, the baldness definitely would! One of the walkers on our team innocently asked me if all my hair, had fallen out and it made me realize that I haven't posted about hair loss here yet. After blushing and doing a real LOL, I admitted, yes, the majority of my hair is gone. Because of the neuropathy I decided to shave my head because the roots of my hair hurt too much to ignore. Dramatic chunks did fall out, but my hair still grows a little during the week before treatment. So, while not all of my hair would have fallen out, it would have been very thined out and scary looking. My eyebrows are still in tact, but they're pretty sparse and only my bottom lashes have been coming out so far. But then again, I'm only halfway through this, so who knows how bald I will be when it's over. When it grows back in I have vowed to stop dying it and be natural. It's been color treated for over 15 years, so I can't wait to find out what color it really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment